Yours Dramatically

This blog is an attempt at e(asy?)publishing by a very serious comedy writer. Hope my attempts do not end up in tragedy. I hope to make 'hill'arious attempts so that I get trained to climb comedy mountains. Believe me, it is certainly not made out of mole hills!!! Now, read on, with a smile :-) for original, agmark, ISI, ISO 9001,2,3,4 comedy stuff!!!


Friday, June 09, 2006

A stage for excellence - for an achiever par excellent

Recognition for an achiever

MALATHI RANGARAJAN

Y.Gee.Mahendra was recently honoured for his contribution to the stage, cinema and television.



FELICITATION: The veterans on stage with YGM.

It was encomiums all the way for Y. Gee. Mahendra at the function organised (by Alandur/Prabhat/IOB/ Sify) to felicitate the actor on his successful completion of 45 years in theatre, 35 in cinema and 30 on television.

"All these people who are on stage today to bless me have at some point in my life held me by the hand and helped me further my career as a performer. I begin with thanking my mother," said YGM in his thanksgiving speech. On the dais were seated AVM. Saravanan, directors K. Balachander, Rama. Narayanan and S. P. Muthuraman, Nagesh and A. Natarajan.

The speeches, without exception, were pithy and to the point. It was touching to see Mrs. YGP walk up to the stage slowly a little later — her face beaming with pride. ARS, the eternal emcee of YGM shows, introduced each speaker and offered relevant inputs.

Crowning glory

Nagesh had words of praise for the writer of UAA's play, `Thanthramukhi' (that preceded the function), `Chitralaya' Sriram. "His dad Gopu was an excellent writer. His sense of humour was wonderful," he said and narrated humorous anecdotes that happened during his stint as a stage artiste with the YGPs.

"There were people who objected to my choice of Mahendra for the lead role in the soap, `Sahana,' but I stood my ground. I knew he would deliver the goods and he did," said K. Balachander who first introduced YGM to films with `Navagraham.' "I'm happy I've introduced people from whom I've gained a lot. Mahendra is a wholesome actor," he smiled. But the crowning glory came from AVM. Saravanan, who compared Mahendra's timing in comedy with that of the inimitable Nagesh. "To me the compliment is equal to winning the Dada Saheb Phalke Award. Nagesh is my Dhronar, my guru," responded YGM.

2 Comments:

Blogger Maheswari said...

If by chance, you have the e-mail address of Sripriya - director Sridhar's daughter - I would appreciate if you could give it to me. I am her classmate from Good Shepherd convent, chennai and would like to invite her to become a member of a yahoo group that I have started for our classmates

4:21 pm  
Blogger Maheswari said...

If by chance, you have the e-mail address of Sripriya - director Sridhar's daughter - I would appreciate if you could give it to me. I am her classmate from Good Shepherd convent, chennai and would like to invite her to become a member of a yahoo group that I have started for our classmates

4:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home